MES HISTOIRES PARISIENNES:

I have returned to my blog 2 years later,
because there are too many stories to share...


"
If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris as a young man,
then wherever you go for the rest of your life,
it stays with you, for Paris is a movable feast
"
-Hemingway



Tuesday, August 26

Le Pont du Gard

In order to get water to Nemausus (present day Nîmes), the Romans constructed an aqueduct 50 kilometers long…SO they built this bridge/aqueduct that’s 275 meters long and 50 meters tall making it the tallest structure in the Roman world. Although the aqueduct stopped working at the end of the Roman reign in the 5th century, Le Pont (bridge) still stands strong.

Although they gave a tour of the bridge…a few of us decided to get a head start on the cliff jumping :D The first cliff was only 10 feet or so high, but fun for a few practice jumps. (all of this was “overlooked” by our directors…don’t ask, don’t tell.) Then I saw 2 guys from U of Minnesota start swimming to the REAL cliff…we checked for rocks below (none) and then climbed to the top. The 2 guys went first and then me (with everyone yelling at me not to do it…IT WAS AWESOME!) It took about 4 seconds to get to the water and my foot stung a little afterwards but it was SO worth it! I’ll try to get a picture of that, but from my judgment it was about 35-40 feet high :D

(the circle on the right is the first cliff, and the circle on the left is the second cliff!)


Me jumping off the first cliff!

Tomorrow I start biking to school…the first of MANY! (I’ve decided to not buy a Tram pass and bike instead.) Also, the Mediterranean is about 4 miles from my house too. I’ve been once so far, and we’re going again Thursday!

6 comments:

  1. this looks awesome
    i love that you already having such a great time!
    last summer in KY the place i was working had a 15' rope swing, but you could also climb the really thin tree up 40' and jump off that... i was the only person on my staff to do it and it was REALLY cool. the only problem was i didn't "pencil" in with my feet, i got into a ball and slowly rotated... landed on my side and knocked the breath right out of me. when i surfaced, i couldn't breathe and my only thought was "it's going to be real embarrassing if i drown in front of all these people," so i try and swim off to the side, while everyone's yelling at me trying to see if i'm ok and i can't yell back because, again, i can't breathe :)
    when i got to the rocks and got my breathe back it was an even bigger thrill than jumping in the first place... the thrill of living is definitely worth the fear of death


    I MISS YOU (ps i randomly see caroline all over campus now)
    much love

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear daughter, I asked for more pics of you and should have known that you would do it in such a grand way...you jumped off that cliff with such stlye and grace...you go girl!!!
    Big hugs,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad to see that you are alive and well in France. It looks like you are having a good time; jumping off thoes cliffs would be a blast. Have fun riding your bike to school, just pray for little rain. Take care and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hah, I haven't seen a drop of rain in over 3 weeks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goodness! I wish I was there - it looks like you are having a blast! I love the photos! How is the food?
    ~Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Oh my gosh! That looks awesome! I hope you are having a wonderful time! We miss you and wish we could come visit!!!!

    ReplyDelete